"SteveB" skrev i en meddelelse
news:PW3_e.81984$DW1.77009@fed1read06...
We went to the cabin this past weekend. I am going to need a chainsaw for
cutting firewood, and clearing some dead wood. None of the dead wood is
more than 8" in diameter. I have plenty of downed wood in the area where

live, and don't want to cut anything bigger than about 8" for firewood,
because I don't want all the work of splitting it. I would cut about a

cord
a year.

Therefore, I am thinking 16" chainsaw. BUT, I always have a tendency to

buy
a little bigger for that once in a while when you need the bigger.

The longer the chain bar is, the less control you will have over the saw...
If you arent cutting anything bigger than 8", you could easily do with a 15
or 16" bar..

BUT, I goes to the stores, and see Poulan, Husqvarna, Homelite, Echo,

Stihl,
etc. with prices all over the map.

I also see engines with different cc displacements, from 37 to 55 on
chainsaws with the same bar length. What's up with that? Bigger engines
better?

Bigger engines usually have more power, but also weigh more... I regularly
cut pine, beech, birch and oak upto 12" or so with a 40CC, 15" Husquarna...
I have bigger saws, but I prefer the smallest one due to the handling and
reduced weight..

I would like to ask:

Which brand do you like and why?

I have 3 Husquarna saws and love them.... one of them is 15 years old.. Zero
problems, starts every time.
I bought a cheapo Mc Cullogh to use around the house ( I usually cut the
trees in 3 or 6 ft sections and cut them up for firewood outside the
house ).. It died after a few weeks of non intensive cutting..

Does any have a problem with getting spare parts?

Not a problem with the Husquarna saws here.. The local farm supply store has
a good selection of spare parts..

Would you do the 16, 18, or 20 inch?

For 8" firewood I'd get the 16"... If you decide you need a longer bar, you
can just replace the bar and chain for something longer.. Most pro saws will
let you do this..

Would you go for the bigger cc engine and why?

No: It will weigh more
Yes: It has more power

For 8" firewood you shouldnt need the extra power aslong as your chain is
sharpened regularly..

IOW: You decide :-)

/peter