Jasen Betts

On 2005-09-28, Roy Ingham wrote:
Greetings all

I hope I make sense, as I'm seeking some guidance through this, please.
I'm trying to get to grips with some basic electronics.
I know and have learnt the electronic math rules
W = V x A ; V = IR , etc..

What I get stuck on is more "why would one use a capacitor
in a circuit, why not a resistor?"
I understand the functions that a part plays (sometimes not 100%
correct) but generally
eg:
capacitor: takes in energy (voltage) and stores it, until it is released.

capacitors behave like springs

Resistor: acts to slow down the voltage as like a form of friction.

But what I don't grasp is why do we place a resistor with a coil to make
a tuning circuit, why not use a capacitor. I'm trying to grasp what is
it about the resistor, that makes the two components work and thus form
a tuning circuit.?

they don't

a typical tuning circuit uses a capacitor and an a coil

with a resistor and a coil you can make a filter circuit.

For example:
If I take an FM Receiver and Transmitter kit (wireless microphone kit or
remote control kit), say I connect a 1 Watt power source to the
Transmitter, (in place of the human voice on the microphone kit)

1 watt is way too much input to the microphone terminals, more like 1
microwatt.

1 watt into the power source (battery terminals) is quite a lot too,

what components will effect the Voltage and Amperage (v x a = W) in the
receiver side,

the volume knob

or if you mean the strength of the radio signal received the antenna,
is probably the main consideration.

and should it be the same +/- 1 Watt and what would cause
the decrease should there be a difference?

there will be a decrease, as the 1 watt radio signal spreads out to cover
more area it gets weaker like the way a distant lamp gives less illumination.

Bye.
Jasen