Lobster

Chris Hogg wrote:
I'm about to build a very low stone retaining wall (two stones high)
around a raised flower-bed and want to use something to bond the
stones together lightly and stop the earth from slowly washing through
the gaps. I don't like the idea of plain mortar, much to obvious and
eye-catching (until it gets moss etc on it, which could be several
years). Strength isn't really a issue. Can I make up a
cement-sand-earth mix to tone down its appearance and disguise it, and
if so, any suggestions as to the proportions? I guess I'm looking for
a sort of cement-bonded earth, if that's practical.

Reminds me of watching a neighbour the other day. They have an old brick
boundary wall about 6' high which is in really poor condition; it would
worry me if it was mine. Anyway, last week I noticed the Lady Of The
House out there fiddling with bricks in said wall, she seemed to be
repairing it which I was a bit surprised at, but no bad thing.

Anyway, on closer inspection, I noticed that what she was actually doing
was removing loose half-bricks near the base of the wall, packing the
resulting space with earth, and then planting flowers in there. I'm
sure it will all look very pretty until it all falls down!

David