Tim Douglass

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:59:18 +0000 (UTC), John Thomas
wrote:

Tim Douglass wrote in
:

I don't have quick access to those statistics, but I am guessing that
if there really was a significant increase it would be all over the
news. Human beings really are remarkably good at multi-tasking.

I don't have access to the stats either .. but I've seen a couple of
pretty well controlled experimental studies. The one that sticks out in
my mind was done with drivers on a closed track, and sensors to monitor
head and eye position.

The drivers did the course with no/minimal distraction, then while
talking casually on the phone, then while being asked over the phone to
do some very simple calculations.

The difference in awareness (by virtue of eye movement) was pretty
remarkable.

My takeaway? There's alot of 'close calls' (pun intended) caused by cell
phone use. (And other distraction, too -- radio, kids in the backseat,
what-have-you).

Me, -- I don't talk on the cell while driving; and since my safety
depends at least somewhat on the ability of those driving around me -- I
don't think they should be either.

Controlled tests are all very fine, but if they don't actually
translate into the real world they don't mean anything. I'll go out on
a limb here and guess that the people who are badly distracted by
talking on the cell phone are simply substituting one distraction for
another. They would be just as distracted if they were in a sterile
driving environment with no outside interference - they'd just be
focusing their attention on the nice load of QSWO in the back of the
truck instead of their driving.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com