~Roy

The chain it comes with is fine. Its a smaller pitch chain and has
more cutters to the inch than the 3/8" pitch chain does, so cutting
is much smoother espeically on smaller diameter stuff like limbs. I
would use it like it comes, and get a spare chain, and when you wear
your sprocket out and bar, then convert it to a rim type drive instead
of the sprocket or spur drive, and then still go with the original
sized pitch chain which is .325 IIRC. I would not go with .375"
(3/8" ) pitch on a smaller saw, as most times its used on small stuff
and not just large diameter stuff as most larger saws are.

IIRC that saw comes with an asymetrical bar, (top and bottom is same
and the end is rounded, not tapered) so don;t forget to flip the bar
every now and then so uyou do not wear in one spot on the bar. It will
cut just as good with the name Husky upside down as it will right side
up. Pay attention to your chains tension and take it ewasy for a
little while to allow chaian to break in, and keep it tenisoned
correctly. AFter about 10 or so sharpenings your sprocket or spur
drive will probably start to look ragged..........The biggest thing
that wears them is an improperly adjusted chain or a chain that has
stretched and is now no longer the specified pitch from the stretch,
so just because a chain has some meat left to sharpen it a few more
times it may not really be worth it as its stretched. A simle check
with another unused chain will tell you if its stretched or simply
measure the pitch and look at the rivets and pull and twist and you
can readily see slop if its worn.

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:11:51 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

===
==="granpaw" wrote in message
===
===
=== SteveB wrote:
===
=== I am leaning towards the Husky 345, 16". $243 online, $10 shipping, and
=== two spare chains. All new in box with warranty.
===
=== Try to sway me.................
===
=== Steve
=== I already done my best pal, you're headed in the right direction I
=== figure, just don't have the kind of luck I do and lose it like the other
=== stuff last week.
===
=== granpaw
===
===
===
===Thanks. Just discovered a new Makita 14" chop saw is gone too. I am now in
===the process of securing the place.
===
===It was some bad luck, and some real stupidity on my part. Both happen.
===
===We will be going back up to the cabin this weekend, and I doubt that this
===will ship in time to get here. I have been really considering this, and
===know what I want now.
===
===Only one last question .......... someone said to get the .375" chain, and
===this saw comes with .3125", IIRC. Is there any real differences in chain
===besides dimensions?
===
===Steve
===