John

Default Earthy mortar

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
I'm about to build a very low stone retaining wall (two stones high)
around a raised flower-bed and want to use something to bond the
stones together lightly and stop the earth from slowly washing through
the gaps. I don't like the idea of plain mortar, much to obvious and
eye-catching (until it gets moss etc on it, which could be several
years). Strength isn't really a issue. Can I make up a
cement-sand-earth mix to tone down its appearance and disguise it, and
if so, any suggestions as to the proportions? I guess I'm looking for
a sort of cement-bonded earth, if that's practical.

--
Chris

Don't know about the proportions or indeed if you can mix earth with sand &
cement and get a bond. A few years ago I was given an old Belfast type sink
for the garden and SWMBO wanted it to look like an old stone type with moss
etc growing all over it. After she decided on it's position I roughed up
the surface and buttered it with s & c and let it go off. Then (this is the
bit you're waing for), I painted it with MILK, I don't think it matters
wether full or semi, and the moss grew over it like there was no tomorrow!
So it may be worth you're while just using a s & c mix and the getting the
cow juice out of the fridge. Last time I saw it, I have now moved house and
was visiting my old neighbours, it looked like it had been there for 50
years+.

HTH

John