Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:30:46 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

I'd rather not replace it with a DVD writer as I already have one. I
like to have a decent 40x CD-ROM for games and burning CD media saves
wear and tear on the DVD drive.
I also enjoy troubleshooting/fixing things, so I thought it was worth
asking.

Aren't most DVD writers faster than that?

Maybe now, but a year-and-a-half ago, one of the selling points of the
Lite-On drive I bought was that, unlike other brands, similar (to
CD-RW) CD performance was possible.

Tom

My CD-RW drive is 52X and was
under 50 bucks several years ago. By all means, try to fix what you have,
but I really wouldn't worry about wear and tear on a DVD writer, they're
well under 100 bucks now and will likely be obsolete long before it wears
out.