Duane Bozarth

Bobby wrote:

Hi, Charlie!

Sorry about that! It is easy to take broadband for granted. I have
recropped and resized the majority of the pictures. Here is the link:
http://www.awhangar.com/restoration/Matthews_secretary/

Still far too many to try to hunt 'n peck at to look at w/o some id on
what is what...at least for my dialup.

Thank you for your input! I say that to all in the newsgroup, as
well. It has been extremely helpful in understanding this piece.

As you can see, the top of the piece is noticably warped. How would
one go about making it flat again?

Which shows it?

The wood seems to be a soft wood, very possibly pine. Could you
suggest resources to help me better identify it?

Look inside for places where it isn't finished. The ones I looked at
before showed some grain pretty characteristic of poine on at least one
drawer front. The front of the carcase, otoh, looked very much like
some other pieces of the same general time period that were simply gum
stained dark enough to mask most grain.

Many of these pieces were quite a number of woods that were then stained
to make them blend together.

The one new picture I looked at was the one of the open front. Some of
the small drawer fronts and dividers are more choice woods or maybe even
a veneer like a 3-ply ply. The picture wasn't close enough to see
detail enough of that small light-colored drawer front for me to guess
what it might actually be.