Charlie Self

I'v enot made habit of listenign to him speak at every opportunity
but hav eheard him a dozen or so times. Unlike any other situation
in which he had to compose what he said on the fly or even in many
when he was simply reading from a teleprompter this time his
anunciation was good, there was little indication of the aphasia
(or whatever) that is responsible for so many of his humours
misstatements. He acted and sounded like an experienced polititican,
a man of above average intelligence, with a college education and
experience with public speaking. He sounded Presidential.

A few hours later it finally dawned on me that he probably
was sober.

Or he had entered that euphoric arena of a good buzz, which I think is
more likely. It is a stage similar to what I imagine an epiphany to be,
and there is just enough alteration of the system that the brain
actually works as if it is well-oiled (pun intended) for a change. Two
more drinks/lines, and things collapse into Babble, while a drink less
brings on the aphasia you mention.