Mark & Juanita wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:08:48 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

: Not so much switch parties as acknowledge reality. He hasn't been a
: Republican for years. :-(

He's been an old-style, fiscal conservative, pro-military,
anti-interventionist Republican.

What he hasn't been is the new style of spend like money is free,
interfere anywhere and all the time, anti-soldier-respect, screw the
Constitution neo-con.

McCain-Feingold meets those criteria? The most egregious attack on the
first amendment in recent times? Hardly.

McCain-Feingold reminds me of the necessity to destroy a villiage
in order to save it.

Even so, it is not as bad as denying habeas corpus in order to
preserve freedom.

But of course, McCain is not the subject of this thread.

A couple of months ago I came home from work, flipped on the tube
and discovered that George W Bush was holding a press conference.
I hadn't realized noe was scheduled. As I watched, I was impressed
that this one did not seem to be a sham, scripted in advance. He
responed to the questions, for the most part addressing the substance
of the query. When he was evasive, he was skillfully evasive. Unlike
other press conferenes, even the scripted ones, and the debates
he did not repeat the same phrases like "we were attacked" and
"it's hard work" over and over again.

I'v enot made habit of listenign to him speak at every opportunity
but hav eheard him a dozen or so times. Unlike any other situation
in which he had to compose what he said on the fly or even in many
when he was simply reading from a teleprompter this time his
anunciation was good, there was little indication of the aphasia
(or whatever) that is responsible for so many of his humours
misstatements. He acted and sounded like an experienced polititican,
a man of above average intelligence, with a college education and
experience with public speaking. He sounded Presidential.

A few hours later it finally dawned on me that he probably
was sober.

--

FF