Don Foreman

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:03:16 GMT, Ignoramus4243
wrote:

That's all very helpful. Thanks. I am very tempted to make a trailer
from new steel and old axles. A few years ago, I basically threw away
an old, rusted boat trailer (for a 3000 lbs boat) with perfectly good
axles, brakes etc. I am quite regretful of that now, as I would need
to find new axles with springs etc.

If you use an axel and wheels from a junked auto, plan on new springs.
I found that the springs that were on a Plymouth Voyager axel were
way too soft for my 5 x 9 homemade trailer. A set of 3000 lb springs
& shackles was under $40 at Northern Tool.