billh

I think you are right. The Hall-effect devices tend to be used for small
currents typically in the low amps and milliamps range.
billh

wrote in message
ups.com...
It might use a Hall effect device, but more likely a transductor. A
couple of square loop cores acting as current transformers driven with
a AC current. The AC current is proportional to the DC current.

Dan
Pete Keillor wrote:

Yup, I've had one for some time. Different principle, works the same.
I think it uses the Hall effect. I used it to calibrate
instrumentation on big DC drives for extruders before we went to AC
drives.

Pete Keillor