Duane Bozarth

Bobby wrote:

Hello, Group!

I am in the process of restoring an old secretary that has been in my
family for at least three generations. In order to better understand
what I am dealing with I have a few questions.
1. What might be the age of the piece?
2. Does anyone have any more information about Matthews Brothers or
have similar pieces created by the same manufacturer? (See picture
P1010023.jpg and file WAG_99_kirschner.pdf)
3. What type of wood do you think this is?

Can't tell for sure but I would guess either gum or pine...

4. What would be the best finish for this piece?

Looks like it was probably varnished..

5. Note the unusual joints in the drawer. Is there a name for this type
of joinery? Where could I get more information on this technique?

Which picture shows them? W/ dialup it takes too long to try to find
one by trial and error...