John Popelish

Roy Ingham wrote:
Greetings all

I hope I make sense, as I'm seeking some guidance through this, please.
I'm trying to get to grips with some basic electronics.
I know and have learnt the electronic math rules
W = V x A ; V = IR , etc..

What I get stuck on is more "why would one use a capacitor
in a circuit, why not a resistor?"

Capacitors remember the past, resistors don't. The voltage across a
capacitor is proportional to the total charge that has passed through
it, since it last had zero volts across it. Or mathematically, V=Q/C.
1/C is just the constant of proportionality between voltage and charge.

If you look at this as a process, in time, rather than as a result,
you can say that the rate of change of the voltage across a capacitor
is proportional to the current passing through it. I=C*(dv/dt), where
dv/dt means rate of change of voltage with respect to time, with units
like "volts per second".

I understand the functions that a part plays (sometimes not 100%
correct) but generally
eg:
capacitor: takes in energy (voltage) and stores it, until it is released.
Resistor: acts to slow down the voltage as like a form of friction.
much like one lane of traffic compared to a 4 lane highway.

Think of a resistor as a device that enforces a fixed proportionality
between voltage and current. Another way to look at ohms is to call
them volts per ampere. Double the volts (electromotive force across
the resistor) and the amperes through it (amount of charge per second)
also doubles.

But what I don't grasp is why do we place

(replace?)

a resistor with a coil to make
a tuning circuit, why not use a capacitor. I'm trying to grasp what is
it about the resistor, that makes the two components work and thus form
a tuning circuit.?

An inductor also remembers the past, but instead of having a voltage
in proportion to total charge, it has a current proportional to total
volt seconds. So it remembers how much voltage for how long has been
applied to it, and that memory is represented by its current.

A capacitor and inductor in combination act something like a spring
and mass act, mechanically to produce a resonance. When the spring is
at maximum distortion and the mass is changing directions, but
momentarily at rest, all the energy is stored in the spring. But when
the mass hits peak velocity and the spring is passing through its
relaxed state, all the energy is stored in the kinetic energy of the
mass. The energy sloshes back and forth between spring and mass,
twice per cycle, and the value of spring stiffness and mass determine
the resonant frequency.

For example:
If I take an FM Receiver and Transmitter kit (wireless microphone kit or
remote control kit), say I connect a 1 Watt power source to the
Transmitter, (in place of the human voice on the microphone kit)
what components will effect the Voltage and Amperage (v x a = W) in the
receiver side, and should it be the same +/- 1 Watt and what would cause
the decrease should there be a difference?

I'm not following the question. I think you are trying to combine
several processes into one, and skipping too many steps. It is sort
of like saying that if you can run a mile on one hamburger, how fast
can you run if you eat a gallon of gasoline.

The FM transmitter combines radio frequency energy with audio by
varying the frequency of a fixed energy carrier in proportion to the
amplitude of the audio signal. Replacing the audio with something
else does not change the power of the carrier.

The receiver separated the modulated carrier from all other
frequencies (if it receives enough energy from the transmitter) and
then discards all information about how strong the carrier is, and
just responds to the frequency variations to recreate the audio signal
in proportion to the frequency shifts. Doubling the power of the
transmitter carrier allows this process to work over a longer
distance, but does not change the volume of the audio at the receiver.

I thank you for your assistance up front,

Thanks
Barry