John Schmitt

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:47:02 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

So point out which definition of the word 'publish' includes the concept
of
not being public or open. It certainly doesn't appear in the (non-pocket)
2-volume, Shorter OED. Have you managed to find an arch. or sl.
definition in
the full OED?

No, it is asubsidiary definition

And Chambers agrees that 'publish' requires that it be made public.

What about Merriam-Webster? while it is not UK English, you might be
surprised how unchanged usages are more stable in US English than UK
English. "Gotten" is regarded as a horrible neologism by the ignorant. In
fact the Pilgrim Fathers were aware of the word.

NB Why choose to argue the matter with a publisher? ;-)

I *am* a publisher both of internal documents and on our intranet. Got
another word?

John Schmitt