Andy

"Paul Andrews" wrote in message
"Andy" wrote in message

"Lobster" wrote in message
Andy wrote:

snip

I'm thinking there may be something I can screw into the existing
pier,
then cement into the block work, but the only things I've seen look

like
cavity wall ties.

You need these babies: http://tinyurl.com/8zag2 (or

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101892&ts=73501&id=31633)

David

Really? They don't look very heavy-duty. I thought that with a wall and

all,
something chunkier might be in order. Still, I expect I'll have to use
one
per course so that give me five ties at the interface at least.

snip

Andy.

This might be a bit more suitable:
though I've not ordered one myself.

I know you can get similar items from Wickes (cost £19.99 - designed to
tie
brick walls together) which would allow
you to tie a wall section between a pair of piers (the Wickes pack
includes
two sections of fixing). So depending on how many piers you have it's
going
to be expensive. Presumably if your neighbour is objecting to wood, I
suppose they're paying half?

Personally I'd think that bare blocks between brick piers would look far
uglier than wood.

Paul

The blocks will not be left bare, they will be rendered, and either
pebbledashed or
roughcast, then probably painted white. The top will have slate coping
stones or will be
rounded over. The existing boundary walls are pebbledashed
so I am taking my cue from them. I too cannot stand bare blockwork.

In a perfect world I would put a wooden fence up, but there have been some
cross flooding
issues between my drive and my neighbour's, during torrential downpours. It
only happens once
in a blue moon, and I've taken what steps I can to alleviate the flooding,
but in the worst case
the sewers will overload and backfeed my gully, which then fountains water
and more
undesireable stuff into my drive. Essentially, I have no escape route for
the water then and it
crosses over to my neighbour's drive ( his gully would be fountaining ****
'n stuff too, but he
seems to think that having to cope with a bit of overspill from mine is
beneath his dignity ).
Hence the desire for a wall. Also he is an old git who goes for
low-maintenance every time,
so his house is festooned with upvc and pebbledash, so he doesn't like
timber, 'cause he
might have to paint it every five years!

I am stoical enough to take all this on the chin and build a wall. If I
don't, he might, and I can
guarantee he'll build an ugly block wall, and I'll get the non-fair face.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and links everyone, I quite like the
plates that bolt to
an existing wall, then you clip tabs to the plates as needed. I shall
investigate all options,

Andy.