:::Jerry::::

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:04:30 +0100, in uk.d-i-y ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
In article

ws.net,
LID says...
snip
Whether a newsgroup is accessed via NNTP or HTTP it is

still a
newsgroup. If someone selects individual posts or threads

and
puts
them
on a website they are creating a derivative work without

consent.

You mean like Google does when you use their commercial

search
engine?...

Google Groups is an HTTP front end to Usenet - it isn't

selective
of the
content of any particular group, so doesn't constitute a

derivative
work.

Did you read what I said?
You are wrong in what you say above, or do you get answers about

gas
installations when you search for answers about pitting up a
shelf?!...

If anything Google search is being a dammed sight more selective

than
the site that started this thread and what's more, it's being a
dammed sight more commercial with it's targeted adverts that

depend
on the search string used.

There is a huge difference between putting up ALL the posts with

some
matched ads alongside as per google, and the opposite of putting up

catalogue page of dozens of CH thermostats you have for sale with a
relevant ng post extracted from the feed and placed beneath them.

No there is not, both are selectively copying, the whys and
wherefores of each web site would not make any difference to any
copyright infringement.

Even if that goes over head, it was obvious to Avenue Supplies once
pointed out to them and they have discontinued it. To be on the

safe
side they have discontinued their partial newsfeed as well.

I suspect they pulled the feed due to all the "Avenue Supplies are
crap" type subject lines and thread content, nothing to do with the
rights or wrong of the feed.

I won't be posting further on this so you can be as rude as you

like in
reply.

In other words, "I'm loosing the argument so I'll bow out before I
loose all my credibility"...