:::Jerry::::

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
In article

ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

"Phil Addison" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:32:35 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Chris Bacon
wrote:

snip

P.S. Do *you* believe in "disclaimers"?

Oh dear, you are confused. A copyright says 'this is mine and

if you want
to copy it you have to negotiate with me'.

But you have posted it to a PUBLIC news feed.... You have in

effect waved
your rights to some degree, as long as someone doesn't try and

pass off
your work as their own (which they are not) there is little or

nothing you
can do short of not posting to a public newsfeed.

Not in this bit of the universe. Every published book is available

publicly -
but that doesn't mean that you give everyone the right to re-print

or
re-publish.

Books (etc.) are written or published for financial gain, people
posting to Usenet are not doing for financial gain. Usenet and the
nntp protocol only work due to ability to 're-publish' peoples
contributions.

Are you seriously suggesting that is someone writes a story (for
example) and then posts it to a Usenet group they could legally
prevent it being 're-published' by other servers?...

All Avenue Supplies are doing is taking that public news feed and

placing
it within a HTML web page - just as Google etc. do.

Re-publishing. They can certainly use extracts as quotes as long as

they
acknowledge source and author. How would you feel if I published a

(printed)
magazine full of advice culled directly from your comments? As it

happens I do
publish a magazine (RISC OS computers - not diy) and occasionally

ask people
to re-state a good news group comment for the magazine. I wouldn't

dream of
just taking the original - much less taking it without permission.

So, you want Google to shut down their nntp web interface server
and archive ?