Chris Bacon

Brian Sharrock wrote:
I then purchased a load from a (fairly) local timber supplier
STAMCO. They allowed me to purchase n lengths of n mtrs and
y lengths of y mtrs ... they sold me what I needed to their
nearest 'standard' length. [Know anybody that needs lots of
100-odd mm pieces of floorboards?] Delivery charges is waived
if one purchases more than £35(?) of goods. Delivered straight
to the door - I ordered it on Saturday morning and it was
delivered on Tuesday morning {by the time I ordered it the
Monday's run had been filled].

Delivery is quite an advantage. I've never found a BM or
timber merchant that won't supply particular lengths (to
the nearest 300mm), although many won't if it leaves a
too-short length over.

{Incidentally; I purchased picture-rail mouldings from
Travis Perkins, I had the dimensions of the walls and chimney
breast cum alcoves - the guy sorted out lengths of mouldings
that'd "just do it" allowing for mitring etc. By the time I'd
finished the 'wastage' was about six inches long if joined end-to-end.
Once again; they supplied what I wanted to the nearest standard
length).

I have found TP rather expensive (a trade card helps a bit though).

It's horses for courses.

Yup.