Patriarch

"Fred" wrote in
:

If you had to design one for your truck what would your ideal lumber
rack be? First would you use round or rectangular tubing? I've seen
one made out of stainless steel and another made of copper (both with
large 3-4" tubing) and it looked too good for lumber but I'm not set
up to weld stainless or copper. The copper was just for show its
really too soft for a working truck. Has to be a full rack to take 20'
long lumber. Has lots of tie downs, the new trucks went cheap with tie
downs - four on mine new truck instead of eight on my old one.
Provision for folk lift loading, and removable top bar above the
tailgate to get it out of the way for loading something like a tall
bookcase. Steel mesh across the back window, don't want anything like
lumber or a RAS going through the passenger compartment. Clamp down
instead of bolt down so no damage with holes drilled to the truck bed
for mounting the rack. A 12V DC electric winch attached to the
reinforced lumber rack frame would be nice to pull heavy stuff up to
the bed.

Anything else?

Maybe one loaded with curly maple & cocobolo? ;-)

Patriarch