George

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am just so-o-o-o-o-o lucky!

Finished a pine overarm sofa table. The top had two coats of matte
poly over two coats of wood dye. A few days after completion I noticed
a "sticky" patch on the edge of the top. Sniff, sniff . . . pine sap?
Clean thouroughly and two more coats of poly. Few days later, same
bleed occurs. This went on for about two weeks then stopped.

I think somehow I just knicked the edge of a sap pocket which didn't
show up until after I'd applied the finish or maybe the sap expanded in
the heat of the house and "burst"? I dunno. Just surprised it bled
through the poly. Twice.

Shellac is the next great hope after resin-setting in the kiln.

I've similar luck when carving utensils out of tamarack, a lovely durable
wood. With 90% of the work done, I can find a resin pocket in the worst
possible location.