Brad Curfman

Woodcraft is running 30% off of a large selection of their turning
supplies and tools in October. If there is a store near you, head there
Oct 1. Most of their Sorby tools are also included in the sale. All pen
kits are included.

There is a Pinnacle set of 8 tools that will be $160 ( regulary $210 ).
I have no experience with these, so you'll need to solicit others' opinions.

I pre-ordered a set of "mini" HSS turning tools for $24 yesterday (
regularly $40). This set contains 5 tools and is featured in their
October flier which came in the mail yesterday. These would be good for
a starter at $24, since one Sorby gouge would cost you more than that.

The set comes with 1/8" and 1/4" spindle gouge, 1/8" parting tool, 1/4"
round nose scraper, and 1/4" skew chisel. If anyone out there has
experience with this set, please comment.

I don't know who manufactures this set, but from what I've read in this
newsgroup, the biggest difference you would see is that a premier set of
tools will hold a sharp edge longer. These are mini tools, so they would
be acceptable for small projects like pens.

You would probably want to get a roughing gouge as well if this set is
the first set you buy.

Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net

Mark Tetrault wrote:
Ok I'm a newbie at turning. Is it necessary to buy expensive
Sorby's tools to produce good results, or will beginner's quality kits be
ok?

I see 1mt and 2mt kits online, what is the difference.

Could someone list for the the actual tools and supplies I'll need to start
turning pens?

Tnx,

Mark