Cliff

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 20:47:32 -0500, "John Scheldroup"
wrote:

"BottleBob" wrote in message ...
Cliff wrote:

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:44:10 -0500, "John Scheldroup"
wrote:

Water conducts heat, does ethylene glycol ?,

Water is not really a very good conductor of heat, John.
It may be a bit better in it's ice form ... I don't recall,
right off.

Cliff:

That didn't sound right, so a quick look in the "Handbook of Chemistry
and Physics"

You got a copy at long last? Good.

(which has a thermal conductivity table of some 275
liquids) shows that only ONE liquid is a better thermal conductor than
water, and that liquid is Mercury.

Ice is a solid.
Liquid water at 20 degrees C has a thermal conductivity of
0.0014 (cal/sec)/(cm^2 C/cm).
Ice has a thermal conductivity of 0.005 (cal/sec)/(cm^2 C/cm).

Source: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...les/thrcn.html

I seriously doubt that many people are going to be putting Mercury in
their radiators.

Bob, Yeah. I would say Cliffy is stumbling a wee bit would you say G

To my way of thinking, 0.005 is a bit larger than 0.0014.

Compare with Silver at 1.01 0.005 (cal/sec)/(cm^2 C/cm).

Like I said, water is not a very good conductor of heat and
ice might be a better one. I hereby retract my "may"
qualification VBG.

Sometimes my recall amazes me .....

And BB should learn what the terms mean .... LOL ....
--
Cliff