Mike Henry

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip
So -- you can still get parts from Clausing -- at least the ones
which you are likely to damage or wear out. What you *can't* get are
things like the locking lever for the tailstock (to the bed). My
tailstock (from eBay) came without it, so I've had to use a wrench and a
spacer -- at least until I get around to making my own equivalent to
that.

Have you checked on that lately? The cam-shaft handle and knob for my 5914
TS was available a few years back around $50 for both.

snip

The VS pulley *should* last nearly forever -- if the owners
maintained it properly -- replacing the (relatively inexpensive) Delrin
sleeves and keys when they wear out. If they don't, then the lathe is
damaged by abuse, and you then have to replace something which should
not need replacing.

And what was worse in my particular case was that there was evidence that
the pulley had been damaged twice by a previous owner failing to replace
that Delrin sleeve. Disassembly revealed that there were two keyways, one
having been machined 90° from the first, and both were sheared off. The
sleeve had been replaced by what looked like a piece of bored out
polyethylene rod. Oddly enough the lathe was in otherwise good mechanical
shape, especially the flame hardened ways.

Mike