Mike Henry

"Ignoramus4243" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:01:05 GMT, Mike Young
wrote:
"Ignoramus4243" wrote in message
I would like to find a good steel supplier in western suburbs of
chicago, preferably one that is open on Saturdays. Looked at yellow
pages and I am not finding much. Anyone uses a particular one?

I need some angles, flats, and inthe future, square tubes.

Metal Express, in Addison and Loves Park (near Rockford).

they seem to have pretty outrageous prices... unless I am mistaken.

$23.55 per 10 ft of 2x2x1/4" steel angle.

Maybe I misunderstood what I heard on the phone, but I was quoted
under $5 per such piece by the second dealer I mentioned.

Iggy,

There used to be a place like Metal Express in Addison or a nearby suburb,
but they may have gone out of business. Places like that are much better
for supplying a few inches of stock for a project and probably prohibitively
expensive for the size and quantity of metal that would be needed to build a
trailer.

For medium quantities (1, 3, or 6 foot lengths) I buy from McMaster-Carr,
which usually ships from Elmhurst, IL. Their prices are probably a little
high, but they'll usually deliver within two days and I'm pretty sure that
the Will Call desk is open on Saturday mornings. Enco's prices are usually
better for mail order, but the selection is much more limited. There are
also a couple of scrap yards near me (a bit west of you) that have been good
for accumulating various odd stock if you don't mind mystery metal.

If you want more commercial sources for larger stock, email me and I will
see who the shop at work (Lemont, IL) buys from.

Mike