Peter Wiley

In article PW3_e.81984$DW1.77009@fed1read06, SteveB
wrote:

We went to the cabin this past weekend. I am going to need a chainsaw for
cutting firewood, and clearing some dead wood. None of the dead wood is
more than 8" in diameter. I have plenty of downed wood in the area where I
live, and don't want to cut anything bigger than about 8" for firewood,
because I don't want all the work of splitting it. I would cut about a cord
a year.

Therefore, I am thinking 16" chainsaw. BUT, I always have a tendency to buy
a little bigger for that once in a while when you need the bigger.

BUT, I goes to the stores, and see Poulan, Husqvarna, Homelite, Echo, Stihl,
etc. with prices all over the map.

I also see engines with different cc displacements, from 37 to 55 on
chainsaws with the same bar length. What's up with that? Bigger engines
better?

I would like to ask:

Which brand do you like and why?

Stihl or Husqvarna. Been using them for over 20 years. I've *never*
worn out a Stihl, someone has always stolen them first :-( The Huskys
are IMO these days a better saw, less plastic, less vibration. Since I
badly broke my elbow I appreciate the Husky's low compression starting.

Which brand lasts the longest?

See above.

Which has the least downtime?

Never had any downtime on my Stihls.

Does any have a problem with getting spare parts?

Never bought spares for my Stihls.

Would you do the 16, 18, or 20 inch?

For your size wood, the 16.

Would you go for the bigger cc engine and why?

I use a 55cc power head with 18" bar. The longer the bar, the worse the
balance and the more teeth you have to sharpen.

Get at least 2 chains with the saw. Hitting a rock, embedded nail etc
will trash the cutting teeth instantly, and bring you to a full stop.

PDW