John Scheldroup wrote:

Really cold weather and your engine can overheat from lack of water.
Really hot weather and your engine can overheat from lack of water.

Water conducts heat, does ethylene glycol ?, this is essential to
proper
function operation of engine temp sensors that work in conjunction with
the ecm computer. Timing, sensors, you name it can really be adversely
effected
from a situation of no water in the radiator.

Ideally the 50/50 concentration is the best setup for year around
climate.
No wonder why their engine frequently overheats, then I'll ask why they
have 100% ethylene glycol concentration in the radiator, answer, to
keep
the radiator cleaner. Don't do that I tell them.

http://www.prestone.com/products/95.htm
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...t/1272436.html

John
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Several years ago I had the radiator partially clog on my 1850 Celica.
A new OEM unit was over 300$. A good after market was 100$.
The only hitch was it would take a week to get the aftermarket in.
After some research I drained all the fluid from my cooling system
and ran with "straight" water. I used quotes because there was about
10%
left in the system. Enough to provdie moderate corrosion protection for
the 8 days it took to get the new one in. My car ran fine even though
the
ambiant temps was around and 100F for 5 of those days.

Gear heads often use "Purple Ice" to boast the cooling capacity.
It allows waterr to carry more ehat, IE raises the specific heat,.
See:
http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/prpice.html
It does work. I have a friend who drives a Grimlin and the stock
radiator is a tad too small. By adding purple ice he solved his
overtemp
problems.

Terry