Eric R Snow

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:20:29 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:16:06 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

On 26 Sep 2005 15:09:01 -0700, "CAMCOMPCO"
wrote:

SNIP

John,
You will find that gummier metals, like crs, will give you a better
finish than harder materials. Be sure to use the correct lube.
Cheers,
Eric R Snow,
E T Precision Machine

Hey Eric and John,

Owwwwww...gotta diagree with THAT Eric. The harder the metal, the
better the surface will get, if done properly. Mirror, and I mean
MIRROR finishes in say D-2 are done by "hand men", whose job it is to
polish (and keep with-in size) the suface left by mill or lathe. They
start off with what-ever is rerquired in nthe 40 to 80 grit range, and
finsih with diamond paste, usally with a Foredom or Dumore hand-piece.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Brian, I meant that gummier materials will look better with ballsizing
than hard materials. My experience with ballsizing and roller
burnishing is limited, but that's the way it always worked for me, and
was what I was told would happen. Like form tapping. gummier, to a
point, is better, Of course, harder materials will polish up better.
Eric