John Scheldroup

"Cliff" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:18:06 -0500, "John Scheldroup"
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:47:51 -0500, "John Scheldroup"
wrote:

For those non-mechanically minded, make sure your mechanic does not
put the anti-freeze/coolant into your car radiator at full strength. Surprising,
but some of my friends will do just that. Water inside the radiator initiates
your engines radiator to allow it to dissipate heat. In a closed system like
a radiator, the water provides this boiling point to protect against such
catastrophes like overheating engines.

Um .... Ethylene Glycol has a lower heat capacity than water
or a mix?
Don't go zooom zoom or fail to maintain the engine & it's
systems.

By the time that water boils off you are already overheated
or your cooling system has failed. Not good news.

So then, do you recommend pouring 100% prestone into your radiator ?

In some cases it does seem to be the thing to do.
Examples: no radiator cap that works, perhaps
small leaks into the engine ..... REALLY cold weather .....
knowing that you will have to add water in a bit ....
--
Cliff

Really cold weather and your engine can overheat from lack of water.
Really hot weather and your engine can overheat from lack of water.

Water conducts heat, does ethylene glycol ?, this is essential to proper
function operation of engine temp sensors that work in conjunction with
the ecm computer. Timing, sensors, you name it can really be adversely effected
from a situation of no water in the radiator.

Ideally the 50/50 concentration is the best setup for year around climate.
No wonder why their engine frequently overheats, then I'll ask why they
have 100% ethylene glycol concentration in the radiator, answer, to keep
the radiator cleaner. Don't do that I tell them.

http://www.prestone.com/products/95.htm
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...t/1272436.html

John