mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges wrote:

the people youre flying back and forth tend to be lower wage earners

Incorrect... I know personally a fellow who was a Chef on a rig. His
wage was not low , NOR did he have to live within walking distance.

That is not the point though.... It would be rather EASY to evacuate
just the employees of a few large companies than tying to do so to
people who no longer can think for themselves. Just because a City once
was in a very precarious spot does NOT mean we should rebuild it so it
can happen again, and again, and again. (NOT a reference to increased
storms, rather, a reference to the storms that have already proved the
point over past years)

they need supporting players like shopkeepers
and all the rest of the economic web of a town

Not really.... Rigs do not have "Shopkeepers",and no traditional "City"
as you are thinking. Many workers simply work X months ON and X months
Off. They WORK round the clock when working, and visit "ShopKeepers"
when they are home, thousands of miles away from the Oil Industry. Land
based Oil Refineries and other facilities certainly could apply the
exact same techniques...

Grummy