Unquestionably Confused

Jay Pique wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I'm entertaining the idea of
tapping some holes in the support brackets themselves and putting
little padded leveling feet in them.

Why not replicate the aftermarket (and some OEM) inserts?

Just drill an appropriately sized hole in the insert over each "support
ear" and insert some Allen head set screws. Screws are cheap, work well
to level the insert, just a hair undersized on the holes and they're
self-threading. A dollar or two will buy all you need for your ZCI's.
Remove them before tossing a worn out insert and put them in its
replacement.