Peter Grey

The Caswell site might have some info that's pertinent.

https://www.caswellplating.com/

Peter

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know the recommended SFPM for buffing brass, or have a
recommended combination of horsepower, wheel size and RPM that works
well for brass instruments? I would like to buy a professional Baldor
buffer and I'm not exact sure what RPM or horsepower motor I should
get.

I am polishing various size marine air horns:

http://www.airraidsirens.com/posts/k...ergD2shiny.jpg

The horns are mostly spun brass, basically identical to the last
section of a flugelhorn, though some are cast brass machined all over.
I buffed the pair shown at the link above with a surplus 1/2 HP 3450
RPM baldor motor, 6" spiral sewn wheel and Tripoli compound, followed
by white compound on a softer wheel. This worked well, but I could have
used more surface area on the wheels to get it done faster, but the
motor bogged down. I also don't know if I'm better off with slow RPM
and large wheels, or high RPM and small wheels. It seems like the
former would be best for the outside of the horns, but a small wheel is
certainly required for inside the bells.

Any help is greatly appreciated!