"John Scheldroup" wrote:

Maybe I should by a Prius, drop a Northstar in it and gear it up for
the lighter weight. Maybe I could get 45-50MPG with the 300HP and no
crazy batterys or electronics.

Hybrid Cars Gas Mileage Impact Calculator

Cadillac Sedan Deville/Toyota Prius
http://home.centurytel.net/cty90143/...ges/hcgmic.JPG
Begin
http://www.hybridcars.com/calculator/index.php

John

I don't understand the prius craze. I retired my Ford 4x4 in favor of
a used saturn sl1. The truck broke a ring and was getting 18W 20S for
mpg.

Running the numbers at 1.69 gallon gas at the time, it made buying a
econocar a no brainer. At the time it was close to free and even if I
fixed the truck for nothing, I still needed 400 bucks worth of tires.

I get 34 mpg winter 36 mpg summer based on 55,000 miles of history. I
drive 30+ miles each way to work with 2 to 6 full stops so nothing a
prius can do for me is a plus. Maybe in stop and go stuff it has an
edge but if you are running the a/c to keep cool, I have a feeling the
advantage is lessened to a great degree.

My plan so far is to buy a used low mileage car with the model having
a good history based on google and usenet that gets good mileage with
good marks on longevity whenever my current ride bites the dirt.

I also change oil at 3000 MI and trans fluid at 30,000 and don't drive
like speed racer.

Almost forgot my point. Break it down to cost per mile. That is
where so many people get lost. They focus on the mileage w/o looking
at total cost of ownership per mile.

So far I have spent 1659.00 on gas for the last 12 months. 548.00 on
service and sadly, (Michigan) 1142.00 on insurance and I have a great
driving record.

BTW, I bought a 5x8 trailer and have recieved more utility from it
than my truck. If I put a bunch of roofing, discards, whatever in my
truck bed, I needed to deal with it. With the trailer, I can let it
sit for months before dealing with it. By that time it is a bit heavy
for my Saturn but many of my family have a truck and will pull it for
me for gas money. Usually, they put their stuff on top of my pile and
I just pay to get rid of the stuff and they pull it for me. Everyone
comes out happy.

My Saturn has no problems dragging the trailer 30 miles to get 3
sheets of plywood which is what my truck normally did occasionally.

You also can get 10ft 2x4's, rain gutter, pipe, ect into most encono
cars while closing the trunk. the rear seats fold and you can angle
into the passenger side foot wells.

I just wish they had more ground clearance. I'm looking at a Saturn
Vue for the next car in 2008, an outback is way too expensive and not
US made.

Wes