chris French

In message , Peter Hemmings
writes

Plastic | |
|| ||
_______| |
toilet ( )_______ | ** Cast Iron
| |
|| ||
| |
| | Cast Iron into garage floor

What I intend to do is to replace the cast "T" and pipe to toilet with
plastic and to fit a cross pipe connector (sorry don t know exact name)
ready to drain shower/basin about one metre to the right of "**".

Now the questions.
1. How easy is it to get the old "T" off without breaking the collar of
the pipe going down the wall.

Probably not to difficult. I had to remove a lead soil pipe from a CI
socket when I redid a bathroom. Now that was probbaly bit easier as the
lead is very soft of course. But no matter. the joint was sealed with
something that appeared to be putty, might not have been, but if you
imagine 70 year old putty you get the idea It's wasn't that hard to chip
this out with an old screwdriver and a hammer.

I'd probably start by using an angle grinder to remove most of the T,
then work down the sides with aforesaid screwdriver/hammer combo, till I
could remove the end of the T

2. What diameter pipe must I use from the basin/shower?

Basins normally 32mm, Shower 40mm

3. I assume I can fit the new plastic junction and cut out the relevant
holes later

I think so, but I've never done this yet.

4. If I have to cut the old pipe (because I damaged it), is there a
neat way of connecting plastic as the only way I have seen is an
orrible rubber "gator" thingy!?

That is the only thing I have seen, but it might be that plastic joining
section might just be the right size if you are lucky - my plastic pipe
was a nice fit in my CI socket
--
Chris French