Roger Shoaf

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
If I may "go off half cocked" and without giving it a lot of thought
(popular reaction lately on RCM): It seems that the 0.0005" might be
absorbed, so to speak, by making the drilled center slightly larger but

with
a correctly shaped 60 deg. cone. In other words, the point of the center
drill would drill larger by the amount of runout and then guide the cone

in
correctly. I know, intuitively, this is not right - but help me out here.

Think about something here. If you were to take and chuck a piece of stock
in a four jaw chuck and deliberately offset it by an 1/8 of an inch, then
drilled a hole in the end, how close to center do you suppose the hole would
be?

If you answered 1/8 of an inch, now consider why it is not closer to center
than that.

Once you can answer that question you should see the error of your logic.

(How did I do Harold?)

--

__
Roger Shoaf