Bill Janssen

Tim Killian wrote:

The venerable BD920 is not crap, but it isn't heavy iron either. For
the price, you won't find anything better that can be easily moved or
is less than 40 years old. Just don't expect to take 1/4" cuts from
titanium bar stock ;-)

Check around for the best pricing as all of these lathes are made in
the same Chinese factories. For example, Enco was running a special
with free freight on their BD920 clone. It's gray instead of white,
but it beat the Jet price by hundreds of dollars.

My Jet 9X20 has a 1 1/2 x 8 thread for the chuck. Don't know if you think
that is important. Other 9X20 have a Metric thread.

Bill K7NOM

Cliff wrote:

On 25 Sep 2005 22:49:48 GMT, D Murphy wrote:

szaki wrote in news:UtSdnZl8Z84fiqreRVn-
:

My company is looking for a small lathe for occasional turning of
small parts. I found this JET bench lathe for $1100-$1200, but I'm
not sure how good is the quality. I don't want to recomand
something that turns into crap later!

Don't worry. It won't turn into crap, it starts out that way from
the factory.

A little more info on what you're doing would be helpful. Material?
Diameter x lengths? Bar, forging, casting or headed parts? What kind
of tolerances? Quantities? Is it just turning? Or is there a lot of
I.D. work to be done?

You get what you pay for, there's no escaping that reality.

Crossposted to rec.crafts.metalworking

HTH