Kristian Ukkonen

Ignoramus18928 wrote:
I am confused. The nameplate on my hobart cybertig says that at 230V,
it consumes 44 amps.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...r/dscf0003.jpg

Absent the power factor number, that means roughly 220*44*sqrt(3) = 16
kW power consumption.

Yet, it is a 28V, 200A welder, which means approximately 6 kW power
output.

How can I reconcile these numbers? How can it take in 16 kW and yet
only produce 6 kW? That seems awfully wasteful.

It's really just connected between two phases - essentially
single phase welder.

That's normal (unless it is inverter) for AC output. DC output can
use all 3 phases (3-phase rectifier bridge with 6 diodes), but
AC can only use single phase. For cheaper welders, even the DC uses
just single phase (transformer input from two phases) to save on
amount of diodes - 2 vs 6 or 4 vs 6, depending on xformer topology.

To verify my hypothesis, measure phase currents of input 3-phase
with clamp-on ampere meter.. It should have current on only 2
phase wires.. Of course, opening the case and looking at connections
should help as well. Propably ground, neutral and 2 phases connected,
or even without neutral (used for electronics of welder, if present).

Kristian Ukkonen.