George

"ScRaPLeR" wrote in message

Ok guys I have a question for all you pro's out there, to wit , how
do I get the most out of my lumber without jointing and planeing away
so much on boards that are warped, cupped and twisted. Before you
answer let me briefly explain the present method to my madness.

SNIP
Make a habit of crosscutting things only an inch or two longer than the
length required. Makes a lot of boards straighter. Of course, you'll have
the good sense to take the better for longer, rather than wasting your time
trying to get twist out of a 4 or 6-foot board.

Only other thing to add is that a bit of judicious work with a scrub or jack
plane can be better than jointing a face six times to flatten.

You don't need a straight edge to plane, so why bother? Straighten when the
faces are parallel.