ScRaPLeR

Default warped,cupped and twisted lumber

Ok guys I have a question for all you pro's out there, to wit , how
do I get the most out of my lumber without jointing and planeing away
so much on boards that are warped, cupped and twisted. Before you
answer let me briefly explain the present method to my madness.

1. To straighten the initial edge of a board I first attach the board
to a known straight board, and putting the straight board against my
table saw fence, slice the least amount off opposite edge of my new
board. If the new lumber is only slightly out on one edge I simply use
my 8" jointer until it is straight.

2. If the board is badly warped across say the entire 6, 8 or 10 foot
length, I cut the board into half to lessen the warp or twist. If
badly cupped I slice the boards into 8" wide sections to fit my
jointer.

3. Next depending upon the amount of cup curl or twist left I will
either use my table saw with a 12" flat board stood on edge against my
fence and start slicing off small face pieces from my new board until
the cup or twist is gone or if only minor problems I will once again
use my jointer like a planer to make small passes to flatten board.

4. my last step is my planer which I set up to take 32" inch passes
until the board is dimensioned, then I change my planer setting to
Finishing mode for the final passes on both faces.

using the above steps I still average only about 85 to 90 usable board
feet out of every 100. So my question is this, what am I doing wrong/
is there a better way or finally am I all screwed up. Thanks for
taking the time to read this mess and hopefully answer.