jim rozen

In article , Larry Jaques says...

I think this has been dubbed "the Katrina effect!"

"This has been a test of the Emergency ****up System. Had this been a
real emergency, you would have died anyway. Thanks for playing!"

Seriously though, it is a sobering series of events. Makes one
realize that if they *had* been on top of the first one (katrina)
and gotten everyone into cars and busses and so on, it would have
still been trouble, simply because you are moving *so* many folks
on roads that were designed and built for what basically amounts
to a factor of ten fewer people.

This happens around here on an increasingly regular basis - there
is some problem, say, on the Tappan Zee bridge, which is 20 miles
to the south. All the diversion traffic immediately paralyzes
every single highway near my house. It's like one of those kids
puzzles, where you move the pieces around and make a picture,
using the one available empty square.

As soon as the empty square is gone, nothing moves.

Anyone who thinks you can evacuate NYC or even the surrounding
suburbs in less than a week is flat out nuts.

Only way to move around in a case like that will be with a trail
bike.

Jim

please reply to: