David Billington

I originally just mentioned the idea as I was told that gensets can be
tested in this manner so in that case they would probably have meters
already to provide the load info on the genset. As regards using an car
alternator, I through that in as possible readily available source of an
item that could be used to provide the load for a motor. If I was using
an AC alternator for the test I would use my magnetic current
transformer to read the current off on a DVM, if DC I would have to get
a suitable hall effect current sensor or ammeter with a suitably sized
shunt. The electrodes would just be placed as necessary to provide the
required load. I wasn't intending to provide a full fledged solution as
from previous posts Mr Tidy seems very competent and could then take the
basic idea if useful and work it into a solution to suit his needs and
equipment. I only responded to your reply as it appeared you didn't
realise what allowed the load to be varied when you seemed to suggest a
variac would be required for varying the load.

Robert Swinney wrote:

Errrr, could you expound just a bit on how one would go about varying the
exposed surfaces in such a way as to calibrate the load? Your answer was
typical of a great many of those on RCM, lately. It seems like some
responders just like to see their names on the PC rather than offer any
thought-out, workable, advice. Someone asks a fairly specific question and
then they get a ration of BS from the responder. Sorta like: The man asked
how to make a wheel of a certain size and you told him to go chop down a
tree!

Bob Swinney
"David Billington" wrote in message
k...

I did see that a variable load was required. That is where varying the
exposed surface of the electrodes comes in altering the current flow and so
the load.

Robert Swinney wrote:

David sez:
"I don't see the variacs are required."

You also must not have seen where Chris wanted a variable load.

Bob Swinney