Phil Addison

Default Damp under upstairs window. Porous sill?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:14:43 GMT, Phil Addison
wrote:

On 27 Jun 2004 06:13:27 -0700, (N. Thornton) wrote:

Phil Addison wrote in message . ..
On 23 Jun 2004 04:48:41 -0700,
(N. Thornton) wrote:

I was thinking of a 1/4" drill just through the plaster to see if it hit
render or brick. To see if the whole wall/s is rendered or just the damp
bits.

That wont really tell you anything about the condition of the wall. It
is external rendering that is the caution sign, not internal. And
drilling wont tell you anything useful.

OK, I thought you meant internal. I'm not touching the external
rendering.

By 'both' you mean repoint + render, or render + plaster? I suppose the
former. The right mix is...?

repoint and render. For repointing Vic bricks I use 1:1:6, thats
cement:hydrated lime:sand by volume. However I'm not going to state
that would automatically be correct in your case, it probably is but
its upto you to confirm.

Well, it's only a small area and not supporting anything much. No idea
how to confirm that other than asking on here. It goes without saying
that any advise given here is taken at ones own risk.

I like the sound of that. I take it you buy it by the bag ready mixed?

I think Anna said Jewsons do it - you can search. I've not used it
yet, so cant give you much info there. G'luck.

I'll take a look at Anna's posts. Thanks for all the advice.

After getting thoroughly confused about whether to point and render,
with what mix, or to just point then go straight for browning, or
bonding, onto the brickwork, I have opted to point and render, so have
bought a bag of lime, one of Ordinary Portland Cement, and a couple of
bags of sand. I propose to mix 1:1:6 by volume (OPC:Lime:Sand) with no
waterproof additive.

I'll use this to point and then go straight on to a render scratch coat,
and finish off next day (or maybe the one after) with a skim of Thistle
Finish if I can find some, otherwise multi-finish. The standard bags of
lime and cement are, I am pretty sure, far more than i need for this 4x2
patch, though it is quite deep in places, up to 1.5".

Does that sound OK? That's tomorrow's plan, so please shout quick if it
needs modifying!

Further sill treatment with w/p paint will come later.

I'll update the photos with the result if I'm not too ashamed of it - my
plastering is still in the learning phase!

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me