James Sweet

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Phil wrote:
Most of the modern welders do draw a fair amount of current at full
capacity, my unit is an older Miller machine and it draws 105 amp. at
240 v . , a Miller Syncrowave draws approx. 135 amp. at 240 v., takes a
lot of power to weld tin foil

I'd love to know what you're welding. You can do near everything with one
which runs off a standard 13 amp 230v supply. Commercial ones might use a
16 amp one. Of course if you're welding ships together you'll need
something bigger.

Most domestic UK installations are restricted to 100 amps. Many less.

He's probably not in the UK, here in the US 200A 240V is the standard
domestic service, at least in areas built in the last 30 years or so, but
400 or even 600A is not unheard of in larger houses.

Still welders can indeed draw a huge amount of current, a friend of mine has
a large arc welder that requires a dedicated 30A circuit, and the inrush
current is much higher. Another friend has a machine shop and they have a
couple even larger welders that run off 480V 3 phase, I'm not sure what
amperage the circuit is but the wiring is heavy and the welder is capable of
supplying 250A.