charlie b

Default Grinding Wheels vs 1" Belt Sander

Preface: I'm sort of a sharpening nut. I've got a two wheel
grinder, a Tormek, diamond plates, Scary Sharp plate
glass, japanese water stones and slips, an old (as in 1930s)
Baldor two speed dental buffer, stiched wheels, hard felt
wheels, wooden whees, white diamond, tripoli, rouge and,
though, I had no intended use for it when I got it at a garage
sale, a 1" belt sander - with spare belts from 100
to 1000 grit.

Since most turning tools come with a ground profile
and some even ground close to sharp, why use a
grinder to touch up or sharpen curved profiles?
A belt sander - above the flatten, where the belt will
more or less conform to what it's rubbing on - seems
to make more sense. No special jigs/fixtures required.

Wouldn't recomend using a belt sander to fix a
dinged edge or to drastically change a profile but
it seems perfect for touching up a dull tool. Having
a range of grits to use also seems advantageous.

So why so little mention of 1 inch belt sanders
for sharpening curved profile tools?

charlie b
asking yet another "dumb question"