John Stumbles

Default fit LV lamp to mains halogen fitting?

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
"John Stumbles" wrote in message
"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
.. .

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Lurch writes:
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:24:06 +0100, "John Stumbles"
strung together this:

Are mains and low volatge halogen bulbs the same size?

Yep, the lamps are the same physical size around the front edge.

Also note that it's pretty impossible now to buy anything
other than dichroic LV lamps. The mains ones are easily
available in both types, and if the fitting is designed
for mains full reflector type and you fit LV dichroic,
the fitting will get hotter than designed for.

Hmm, that's interesting - are the GU10 mains halogens not generally

dichroic
then?

The packet of a spare that I have in stock gives no more information

on
this
than "Aluminiumised Reflector" - I had always assumed that they would

have
been dichroic just as the LV ones are, but from what you say perhaps

this
is
not the case.

Unfortunately the supplier's web site (John Lewis - you'd think they'd

know
better) doesn't even say if the fittings are mains or LV. I'm guessing
mains.

http://www.johnlewis.com/stores/prod...921&trsid=1558
&m=-1

I'm also planning to fit 20W LV bulbs rather than the original 50s (the
client wants lighting, not roasting :-) so even if the fitting is

intended
for reflectors the heat back into it from dichroics shouldn't be too

much
(I
hope!).

yep, spec a bit vague on that front! I'd have expected them to at least
state whether it is mains or ELV as a "feature" if nothing else.

From the looks of it I can't see why ELV 20W would be a problem, but as

you
could be essentially installing something out-of-spec for a customer then
I'd be a little cautious in your circumstance.

JL ought to be able to answer a specific technical question or put you in
touch with the manufacturer's technical department to clear the issue once
and for all - with a positive answer you should be able to demonstrate

that
there has been due diligence when making the mod.

"with the appropriate 12v connector, is there any reason why this fitting
should not be used to house a 20W 12v lamp" kind of thing.

Call me cynical & jaded if you will but I'll bet you a pint to a packet of
crisps that (a) the manufacturer operates in a different character set (b)
JL under influence of their legal mafia would say something non-committal
and arse-covering. :-)

Basically I'll see if it looks like a good engineering proposition, if not
they can always get their money back from JL and choose something else. (I
did look around for soemthing similar in LV but can't find anything in
brushed steel, let alone what looks like a sort of wedge-section shape that
the JL units seem to have.

(BTW, many thanks for helping out Pearl & Emma a while ago, they were most
impressed.)

You - and they - are welcome, thanks for putting me in touch. Must say I'm
not heartbroken they got it done by someone else: it was going to be a right
challenge redoing the gas in 22mm from the meter. If you're ever down there
with a digicam I'd be interested to see how it was done :-)