Ian Stirling wrote:
wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

It should run on dc without modification. As the OP didnt think to tell
us what it was, we can only guess.

You are assuming it has a full wave bridge rectifier on its input...
(fair assumption certainly, but not guarenteed).

No I'm not.

Yes, you are.

No, I wasn't, thats why I said I wasn't. Its not hard to run through
the various possibilities and see that what I said is consistent with
them. Note I said 'should' not 'will'.

The possibles:

full wave rec: ok on dc. Most likely option, until we knew it was tf
input.
half wave: again dc fine
ac loads: some ok on dc, some not, but these comprise a very small
percentage indeed of 24v electronic loads.

So clearly we can say a 24v ac input box of tronics should run on dc -
but not will, as there will be the ocasional one that wont.

A device with (for example) a transformer in the input circuit, as this
one turned out to have, will simply blow fuses if you connect DC to it.

of course. Just think the options thru.

NT