Leonard Caillouet

It may work, but why use a dry method that is likely to leave little bits of
eraser in the unit when you can use a chamois or other cleaning products
that will hold alcohol and leave no residue. Why take the risk?

As for alcohol not being an effective cleaner, I have to differ. It is a
lot better than water or dry methods. What do you use to clean the ridges
of oxide off of the capstan? I have cleaned many hundreds of VCRs, also
since the earliest days of the product, and have found denatured alcohol or
isopropanol to be very effective.

Leonard

"Ken G." wrote in message
You are both wrong . I have done this more times than i can remember on
very stuborn dirty heads . You dont force the erasor in there like
shoveling dirt .. you set it on there very light and let it rub for a
bit and watch the picture come back .
Have you ever tried it ?? no .. so you dont know .
It does not hurt the movie tape either .

Alcohol is useless to clean anything its just like using water .. throw
it out and forget it thats why many people dont get vcr heads clean .

The little heads on vcrs are only a problem if the rub up &down across
the gap instead of with the gap or push to hard and gouge . They will
not melt or absorb anything . I have repaired vcr`s sence the beginning
of the boat anchor top loads and work on brand new stuff of today and
not a drop of alcohol around .