Arfa Daily

"Wildcard" wrote in message
He's dead Jim!

No mircle is bringing it back to life.

With no guarentee a product will even work
in 2 to 5 years why would anyone fix it.

It used to be a tech would last 10 to 20
years. Now your lucky if you get 1 to 3
years out of a consumer electronic technology.

Records, Beta, VHS, 8-track, even compact
cassettes. All lasted for long enough without
playability changes to make it worthwhile to
repair.

I now own 4 DVD players. Not because I need or
want 4. All of them work fine. The only reason
I have that many is because DVD's I record will
not play on two of them. The only reason I keep
the other two is because they at least still
play pre-recorded DVD's. But, all of them will
become junk once HDTV takes over. So why fix
any of them. Since all my DVD's will soon take
their place in storage with the records,
8-tracks, beta tapes, and VHS tapes in the
basement. I should add compact cassettes to
that list as well but one of older cars still
has a cassette player. The other two have CD
players and Sirius.

My boat on the other hand does two things that
no amount of new tech will change. It's a
1973 model and it still floats and pulls
waterskiers. So repair is worth it since it
will still provide the basic function I
orginally bought it for.

The same cannot be said for my turntable. No
matter what I do it will never play CD's.

mwm

That must be it then ...

I thought that my little repair business was doing all right, but from what
everyone here has said, it can't have been. So today, I phoned all of the
companies that supply me with repairs, and told them that I won't need their
stinking work any more, because it doesn't pay me enough money, and even if
they do send me something that's in manufacturer's warranty, I don't want to
fix it, on principle, because it will be obsolete junk for the poor owner in
12 months anyway, and I can't have it on my conscience. I'm getting the hang
now of what a waste of time my repair life is. Took me 2 hours to phone all
those people.

Tomorrow, I shall tell my wife and kids, and then probably commit suicide.
Thank you, THANK YOU everyone in the group, for showing me, and probably all
the others I know who thought they were doing ok in the electronics repair
business, how stupidly wrong we were ...

Arfa