Ignore this poster. It's a troll.

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Dave D wrote:
"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

writes:

I have a comment regarding the Sony service manual for the CPD-200GS.
On page 2-2 it recommends shorting the anode and the anode cap to
chassis ground or aquadag AFTER removing the anode cap! What's more
there's a diagram that indicates one should NOT slide a screwdriver
under the rubber cap.

Sony's been making CRTs for a long time so it seems strange they would
recommend a dangerous procedure like that. Any cracks or pinholes in
the rubber and you could wind up getting quite a jolt.

It does seem strange.

Perhaps they were worried about scratching the CRT? The glass is
relatively
thin in that area.....

Perhaps it's a throwback to the old Trinitron tubes which IIRC had a special
anode cap with concentric contacts. They had a special tool to slide under
the rubber and release the 'catch', though it could be done with a little
care and a screwdriver.

Dave

Could be a throwback, although this model has a standard clip. Both the
Dell and the Sony manuals recommend the same thing. I used the
screwdriver method with a resistor. No problems. The anode cap had a
schmear of silicon-like grease underneath surrounding the contact
receptacle.

The biggest problem so far has been dirt. There are things in there
that look like they have hair growing on them. Ugh. It cleans up nice
though.