Owain

Default Vacuum cleaner blow sparks claim

"Tim Mitchell" wrote
| Dyson's insurers are crazy to admit liability (IMO).
| I have had a few dealings with injury claims at work and
| insurers seem to be very quick to admit liability and
| settle the claim, even when the case is absolutely
| ludicrous. I am not sure why, perhaps on average it
| works out cheaper than fighting the case.

They are probably better settling even ludicrous cases, especially if they
can do so for modest amounts of compensation, than be taken to court and
have both a court judgement against them (which will probably affect the
company's insurance premiums, whereas a small compo settlement can be met
out of petty cash) and setting a judicial precedent which will apply not
only to that company but to the entire industry and is something the
insurance companies want to avoid. A few thousand in compo is less than
legal fees anyway.

Owain